So the year 2017 is almost coming to a close again. A lot has happened for me this year and so I review the year at a time of calm quiet reflection (Well almost!).
Before beginning 2017 I started by setting some SMART goals which I have revised as circumstances have changed during the year. I use SMART goals to support my mental health well being and I also prioritise the goals so if life gets challenging (or easier) I know which are the most important goals to focus on. Also it gives me purpose and encouragement during the year to work towards and a sense of achievement and accomplishment when I complete a goal.
When setting SMART goals, I try to set goals that reflect my values (as in whats important to me) as best I can as then I am less likely to procrastinate and more likely to work on them. So what are SMART goals?
- What needs to be accomplished?
- Who will be involved?
- What will take place?
- Why do I want to do this?
- How will I know if I have succeeded?
- How much change needs to occur?
- Are their steps/milestones to achieving this?
- Do I have or can I get the resources needed to achieve this goal?
- Is the goal a reasonable stretch for me?
- Are the actions I plan likely to achieve success?
- Does this goal reflect in anyway close to what I value or just what others think?
- Will it delay or prevent me achieving another important goal?
- Am I willing to commit to see this goal through even if it’s challenging but I believe in it?
- What is the deadline for this goal?
- When do I need to take action?
- What can I do today?
And from that single goal I built on it by setting more throughout the year and achieved this:
I now think of setting a goal as like planting a plant, some will be duds, others small flowers and like my running (to me) a plant that grew into a tree that bared many fruits.
I set other goals this year as well, some went well and others were disastrous. However, I survived, accomplished and grew from them.
So with 2018 about to begin I better start prioritising and setting new goals as I found setting some in 2017 so helpful. Maybe the same can work for you?